The Alizés Awards, presented by Farm Credit Canada, highlight the excellence of the work accomplished by Canadian agri-food companies that have distinguished themselves in international markets.
Known in English as trade winds, the Alizés refer to the winds which established the main maritime trade routes between continents over the centuries and linked Canada to foreign markets.
The Alizés Awards will be virtually unveiled on September 29, in conjunction with SIAL Canada. Two companies will be honoured with the presentation of awards for Alizés of the Year in one of two categories:
Category 1: Small to medium-sized enterprise (revenues of 50 millions or less). The nominees are:
- BioNeutra is the premier North American supplier of high quality fiber ingredients and products. BioNeutra focuses on providing consistent, quality ingredients for formulators and manufacturers.
- Rustica Foods is a family run business that has become an industry leader in the production of authentic Italian products. Today, the name is recognized for its distinguished pizzas, frozen pizzas and focaccias.
- Schep’s Bakeries is in the business of baking syrup waffles for specialty stores. It has over the years blossomed to the point of the waffle cookies being available in many of the larger retail stores in Canada and the exporting of hundreds of thousands of syrup waffles to the United States of America every year.
Category 2: Large company (revenues of 50 millions and more). The nominees are:
- Bio Biscuit has been a trusted name in the animal-feed industry for more than 20 years. The company is making oven-baked biscuits, treats and food for cats and dogs, carefully designed by a team of specialists in animal nutrition.
- Clearwater is North America’s largest vertically integrated harvester, processor, and distributor of premium shellfish. It’s other product line includes: lobster, scallops, clams, coldwater shrimp and crab.
- Fruit d’Or is a leader in berry processing. It ranks first worldwide for growing organic cranberries, and second as an organic wild blueberry processor.