Harvest Genomics was chosen by a jury of high-profile industry judges as the $10,000 grand prize winner of the 2020 Gryphon’s LAAIR Pitch Competition. The Gryphon’s LAAIR program is funded by the Ontario Agri-Food Innovation Alliance and supports the commercialization of research findings for the benefit of the Ontario agri-food sector.
The Gryphon’s LAAIR Pitch Competition was held on May 27 with a new online format and attracted an audience of almost 500. The judges were Shelley King, CEO of Natural Products Canada; Joe Dales, President, Agriculture & Food Innovation, RH Accelerator Inc.; and Fred Wall, VP Marketing for Farm Credit Canada.
Harvest Genomics combines innovative genetic testing and leading-edge big data analysis for food production and food security. Some of the notable services in the field of agriculture are:
- Herbicide Resistance Testing: Weed resistance normally occurs from repeated use of the same herbicide(s) and mode of application. It is identified by targeting site mutation in known genes that play important role in herbicide resistance.
- Plant & Animal Breeding: Plant breeding based on genetic information allows to develop and improve elite varieties by working directly with the plant DNA.
- Plant & Soil Health Microbiome: Microbiome analysis helps to asses soil quality, soil diseases and its fertility.
- Cannabis Sex & Strain ID: Since legalization competition exploded, protecting the elite species could be very challenging. It is achieved by providing the most efficient sex detection cannabis services.
- BioSurveillance GMO Testing Pest Detection: Through targeted genomics, GMO contamination could be found out. Thanks to the DNA barcoding, detection and monitoring of various pests, from microorganisms to insects is achieved.
Harvest Genomics’ expertise in the sequencing world also allows it to support a broad range of projects for Academic, Government and Company R&D. Some key service offerings in the area of Genomics Research are:
- Genomics: By using the latest Sequencing Technology, it is easy to assemble entire genome, perform Genotyping by sequencing, develop Molecular Marker (SNP), analyse Structural variant, and more!
- Transcriptomics: RNA-sequencing is used as a reliable tool for applications such as plant gene expression, transcriptional modifications, identification of novel transcripts, alternative splicing, pathway analysis, co-expression network analysis and marker development.
- Metagenomics: Every known microorganism such as bacteria, viruses, fungus & nematodes could be rapidly detect through basic metabarcoding (16S, 18S, ITS, …) but with metagenomics we can know unknown organisms and build true structural & functional communities.
- Bioinformatics: State-of-the-art genomic sequencing with latest bioinformatic analytical tools.
- End_Point: Every living organism owns DNA. This DNA act as a barcode, specific to every organism, like the human fingerprint. Targeted genomics perform on those specific barcode allow it to discriminate every living organisms, from virus to your dog.
Are you looking to embrace the power of genomic science? Unleash your Ag business potential at Harvest Genomics.